Longboarding in the rain – things you should know
When we talk of Longboarding in the rain, the number of people opting for that will be very less but in some cases you have no other choice than Longboarding in the bad weather.
Whenever Longboards are drenched with water drops they need to be taken to the mechanical shops in order to maintain their life. When it comes to weather of a particular area you can never be sure of how the weather would go for a day. It could be a scorching sunny day or heavy rainfall, so getting ready for that is very difficult and that is the reason we are here to give you some tips in order to maintain your long boards for any such day.
So let’s get started with the points to be kept in mind while Longboarding on a rainy day.
Use water resistant board
- The manufacturers for the long board are aware of the difficulties that the skaters have to go through during rainy season so they have manufactured some Longboards that are resistant to water absorption in such situation. But water resistant Longboard are expensive than the normal Longboards and if money is not an issue for you then you should prefer the waterproof Longboard only.
- Painted Longboards or Longboards that are covered with a coating are able to resist water absorption during rainy situations. The board should be coated with a thick layer from the top side as well as the bottom side and this will prevent the board from getting damaged by the downpour.
- According to us investing in a better and waterproof Longboard would be a good deal and you would be saving the extra money you are going to pay for the maintenance and the damage caused by the water drops.
And even if you can’t afford a waterproof Longboard we can help you in making it for yourself what you just need to do is coat your Longboard with a thick layer of Polyurethane. This layer will help in preventing the water absorption in the board. While covering the board with the layer of polyurethane you can cover the whole board except the area on platform where the grip tape is attached.
As the grip tape won’t work along with polyurethane and water. But remember this that this layer won’t protect your Longboard 100%.
Where waterproof and slipper resistant gear
- The most important point that you should always consider while taking off for a Longboard ride or any other adventurous sport is wearing proper protective gears and shoes in order to avoid any incident that may damage the person or the long board.
- A person should be riding with a helmet, Wrist pads, kneepads and most importantly slipper resistance shoes. The shoes should be waterproof and slipper resistant, that would make them safe for Longboarding during rainy season.
- Longboards are manoeuvred with the foot and you won’t want your foot to get slippery or not to work properly due to water so whenever you search for the right pair of shoe always look for shoes with thick tread beneath them. Anybody can slip from the long board due to presence of Water. Long board with thick tread will attach you to the Longboard and would not let you fall. These shoes are protective as well as looks which will make you safe as well as attractive while Longboarding.
Protect long board bearings
- The weather type for the long good parents would be opting a long board that has good quality volunteering is rather than protecting low quality bearing.
- It might be a bit expensive but trust me it is worth the money. Long board with good quality bearings can be used for any weather be it cloudy, rainy or any other sunny day. This option could be expensive but it is the best one but otherwise you can also opt for buying lube and get your long board treated with lube. This liquid helps in preventing water absorption.
We all know that water can cause rust on the bearings so the better option is applying some lube on the Longboard on a daily basis and that would help in keeping your board for a long life.
Dry your gear
- In order to maintain the bearings of the long board the most important step is drying the gear unless you want to buy a new one or get it maintained in a mechanical store. If the board is drenched in water there are chances that it will break into halves. So the crux of the matter is that you need to dry a gear as early as possible.
The first way to dry your board is patting it with a dry towel which will soak the droplets and make the gear completely dry. Or you could just separate the parts of the board and then dry the parts with a dry towel and again reassemble it all together as it was before correctly. The only drawback of this method is that it can be only done by skilful people who know assembling of the board.
- The other way to dry your long board is to blow dry with a hair dryer but you should do it quickly as there is a chance of loosening the grip tape which might peel off later on.
So these were the few points that you should keep in mind while long border on a rainy day. These tips will help in making your ride less dangerous and reduce the risk of accidents. But on a serious note we would suggest not using long board in the bad weather as it might be harmful for the rider at some point.
We hope you found the article helpful, for any queries or comments you could contact us through the comment section below. Keep riding and be safe.