How To Slide On A Longboard – Follow The Steps
Long boarding is an art and technique that not everyone knows. To excel in long boarding, you must know the tips and tricks so that you can slide easily with full control over the board. Once when you will learn these basics, you will get to know how to slide. Sliding on a long board involves pulling the board out and let the wheels move freely so as not to grip the pavement.
While sliding on the long board, you must wear special gloves having plates which will act as brakes. Number of ways is there to slide on a long board but the most basic method is bending down and keeping your hands on the ground in front direction when the board slides out. It is the common method of stopping while sliding and even the expert boarders follow this technique.
In longboarding, there is a common sliding i.e. Coleman sliding. It is one of the most essential basics to try once in your boarding career. Pro boarders try this sliding technique due to it being the most commonly used methods to brake on a board.
In Coleman slide, you have to foot break, jump off and ride out the board. In fact, while learning the sliding technique, you will get to know that these options are not much efficient while riding at higher speeds. So here sliding plays a major role when you need a safer and stylish boarding. However, Coleman is the safest options when you want to learn longboarding, sliding or braking. The technique was invented by Cliff Coleman in 1970s that is 180 degree heelside slides which helps and allows the boarders to ride the board safely even in higher speeds and inclines.
You may be a beginner in sliding that is why you are here to learn how to slide on a longboard. So let me tell you that longboarding is definitely not an easy chore as you have to be very relaxed and patient while learning it. In start, you may get injuries while riding or stopping the board but that is not the end guys. Just keep learning and one day you will be an expert boarder. Today, I am jotting down the steps to slide on a longboard, so don’t waste time and read them below:
- Sliding on a longboard is never going to be easy for the first time. You have to maintain a good balance or else you will fall down badly. Good pushing and turning around the board while sliding is very important. So if you are taking it lightly by just getting up and get on the board without even the knowing the balancing thing, sliding would cause troubles for you. Also, the ride will be sloppy. Before starting, I would highly recommend you to watch some videos over the internet to get a basic idea of how to slide. Watch someone sliding so that you can understand better. Watching videos is good because it is hard to learn sliding just by reading some words on it.
- Go for an easy set up for the first time and don’t overburden yourself for more. Use a double kickboard as it is quite a basic board to get into. When you are just starting, consider riding the board between 35-40 inches.
- In this step, you have to stand on the board following some tips. Keep your back foot pointed to the right and the front foot tad to the left foot. Read it again to understand it better. The back foot plays a major role as it has to be at the part of the board before kicktail comes. Next, the heels of your foot must be hanged off the back as it will help you with side carve. Guys, this is the most basic form of sliding a longboard and it can be changed to form the advanced version by adding some tricks to it. However, sliding is a trick and skill.
- Start sliding the longboard by kicking off on some flat surface that is either concrete or asphalt. Don’t push yourself while riding and try going on a speed that is comfortable for you.
- While riding when you bend down on the board, you need to bend your knees as well to get a better grip. To slide, you must remember that to switch to heel side, only 3 seconds are there so make it accordingly. Knees must bend a little to crouch on the ground.
- Keep the one hand on the board side and other on the ground. One hand must be positioned between the legs and other one must be reaching backwards directly opposite of the way in which toes are pointing. Don’t forget to wear sliding gloves otherwise your hands will be bruised or injured badly.
- Now, this step is difficult as you have to carve heel side. But don’t worry; you will learn it with regular practice. Look backward like you are looking at your butt. Your body must follow the motion and your hips must be committed to the motion.
- Riding in one direction is fine but some people like jumping to the opposite toe side Coleman slide. Try both the directions changing the direction of your foot. Just keep on practicing and you will learn sliding.
Hope you will learn the tips of how to slide on a longboard. Here are some tips to follow:
- Being a beginner, you may feel scared riding the board too fast but don’t be or else you will not be able to slide properly.
- To commit to the slide, make proper use of head, shoulders and hips.
- Don’t go too far with your hands or else your hands, butts will be ripped and the pants will be torn if you fall.
- Never keep both the foot together, keep them separated so that each foot remains at the each board’s end.
Happy long boarding!!
Beside that, at my blog, we also have many articles to share you all things need to know about longboarding, and the next topic is a Best Longboard For Beginner.
Incoming search terms:
- how to slide on a longboard
- on-board slide