Best Longboard Brands for 2017
Although longboarding has been popular just recently, it did not take long before there has been an influx of boards that are meant specifically for such. It is appealing for many people basically because longboarding is ideal regardless of your skills.
Even if you are a beginner who has never skated in the past, you can just grab a longboard and there is no steep learning curve. Whether it is for recreational transportation or downhill racing, among others, longboards can be beneficial in ways more than one.
If you are interested in trying longboard, one of the most important things that should be taken into account would be the selection of the right board. Many of them are already pre-assembled.
Take a look at the different parts, including the deck, grip tape, wheels, bearings, and risers. Generally speaking, the boards can be made from bamboo, maple, or carbon fiber. They are also available in different types, including cruisers and downhill.
Are you looking for the best longboard brands? Keep on reading and we will help you make the right decision. Below, we will have a comparison of some of the brands that are available in the market, as well as some of the features that differentiate them from each other.
In the end, we will provide you with a recommendation on which one to pick based on our discussions.
90%Read My Reviews!
70%Buy it on Amazon.com
80%Read My Reviews!
Check Top ten Longboard Brands On Market 2017
5 Things To Consider You Need To Consider When Buying A Longboard
- If you are a beginner and if you are on the lookout for an entry-level longboard, this is definitely going to make an excellent choice. It has been given words of praises because of its affordable price, yet quality is not compromised.
- From the three brands that we are comparing, this is the most affordable With this, when comparing in terms of affordability, we are picking this as the best.
- Most of the Atom longboards have an affordable price.
- They can be more expensive that Sector 9, but they can be more affordable than Yocaher.
- Compared to Sector 9 and Atom, Yocaher longboards can be expensive. Most of their models are not budget-friendly and not suitable for beginners.
- A lot, however, loved their boards because of their stunning designs, which is perhaps one of the reasons why they command higher prices.
Obviously, for many people, price is going to be one of the most important considerations. Indeed, it is tempting to pick the cheapest longboard.
Buy It On Amazon.com
- Compared to the three brands that we are tackling in this article, we are picking this as the best from the three.
- Almost any longboard from Sector 9 seems to be a work of art. You will have a diverse selection, regardless of the style that you prefer.
- The Atom longboards also have nice graphics, but they are not as stunning and as diverse as the longboards from Sector 9.
- When it comes to color and design, Yocaher can closely rival that of Sector 9. In fact, there are many people who believe that this is the perfect brand for creative people.
When speaking about the design of longboards, we do not necessarily just refer to the overall construction or shape. Rather, we are pertaining to the aesthetics of the longboard.
Read Sector 9 Reviews!
- Regardless of the type of deck that is preferred, chances are, they are available at Sector 9. The company takes pride in manufacturing a wide array of designs, making sure that there is a longboard that is right for every rider.
- They have small and large decks. You will also have the option to buy a separate deck as preferred.
- Similar to Sector 9, this brand also offers a wide selection of decks to suit individual preferences. Their decks are long-lasting, which is attributed to the materials that have been used. They have desks that are laminated.
- Because of the strength of their decks and the wide array of choices that are available, we are picking this as the best when it comes to decks, alongside Sector 9.
- The decks of Yocaher are also commendable. Nonetheless, most of them are made from Canadian maple, usually 9 or 7 plies.
- This is unlike in the case of Sector 9 and Atom wherein you will have a decent selection of deck materials. Their decks can also be flexible and long lasting.
When evaluating the decks of the best longboard brands, it is important to look beyond aesthetics.
Read Sector 9 Reviews!
- There are a lot of reasons why Sector 9 is the preferred brand in the marketplace for longboards.
- One of these reasons is most probably the fact that it is integrated with high-quality, performance wheels that will be appropriate regardless of your riding style.
- Whether you prefer to have large or small wheels, there is surely a long board that is right for you.
- Many of the wheels of the longboards from Atom are soft and have an excellent grip, which can provide you with a comfortable ride.
- Nonetheless, the softness of the wheel can also be an issue, especially when it comes to durability. They can be more prone to external damages compared to the wheels of Sector 9 longboards.
- Their wheels also have special features depending on the longboard that will be chosen.
- Most of their wheels, however, are made from hard plastic. They can be durable, but the issue can be with regards to comfort.
It is also vital to take a look at the wheels, making it easier to decide which one will make the best choice.
Read Sector 9 Reviews!
- Most of the models of their longboards are equipped with PDP Abec 5 bearings. The latter is known for its dependability, making sure that you will be able to use the longboard smoothly.
- They also have an online shop where you can choose bearings that are preferred.
- This brand also uses high-quality bearings.
- However, there are complaints from some riders that some of their bearings can make the speed slower, and hence, it has been recommended that they should be changed.
- Abec 3, Abec 5, and Abec 7 are some of the bearings that are used in Yocaher longboards. Similar to Sector 9, we believe that this is going to make an excellent choice.
- Their bearings, according to many users, can withstand shock and can remain functional even with extended and frequent use.
The bearings may not be as visible as the deck or the wheels, but they are going to be extremely important as well in differentiating the options that you will have for the best longboard that is available in the market.
Read Yocaher Reviews!
3 Steps To Choose The Best Longboard
When it comes to longboards, Quest is always among the top brands chosen for their style, performance, and value for the price. Quest longboards suit the needs of riders of all levels. The company takes pride in their durable and high quality boards offered at affordable prices that come with a long-lasting service. Quest produces boards made from eco-friendly materials are durable enough to cruise, slolam, freeride, or downhill excellently even on the most challenging tracks.
Riders consider Quest longboards as the ideal choice for cruising due to its transportability, performance, and the multi-ply hardwood that comes with an attractive artisan deck. With the many satisfied users, you can’t go wrong with a Quest longboard no matter what level are in longboarding.
What is a good longboard brand?
With the numerous longboard brands in the market, choosing a good one can be a challenge especially if it’s your first time to buy a longboard. As you use and enjoy longboards, you will find that you have specific needs and specifications to look for. Different brands have different specifications that will cater to particular preferences. Longboard users across the web have expressed their raves on a wide range of longboard brands, but these are the ones stand out the most. List of longboard brands:
- White Wave
- Sector 9
- Santa Cruz
There are a lot of other brands you can find in longboard dealer stores. So far, the Atom and Quest have always remained among top choices in terms of quality and value for money.
How to Buy a Longboard
So, you’ve finally decided to buy yourself a longboard. While salesmen and fellow riders can offer their suggestions, you should also know several things before investing on a longboard of your choice:
First, you have to ride a longboard before deciding to buy one. Try out several brands and styles and try which one is most comfortable to use.
Do your research. It is very important that you read reviews and compare customer feedback to find out the best longboard decks, wheels, trucks, bearings, and bushings. Expensive does not always mean that it’s the best. Do not always opt for the cheapest gear as well based on budget alone. Go for the one with the most value for your money.
Only buy longboards from a reputable dealer. Visit several longboard dealers or sellers and check if they have after sales support.
What length longboard should I get?
Longboards come in different lengths. Shorter ones are between 29” to 34”, the midsize are between 34” to 42”, while long ones are from 42” to over 50”, sometimes even reaching up to 65” long.
For beginners, younger ones, and short or petite longboard riders, the shorter boards are most recommended.
Midsize is the most popular length for longboards due to its convenient size for carrying around. It can handle all riding styles, but mostly it is used for cruising.
The Long ones are best suited for taller people. It is great for relaxed cruising and also for dancing on the board. The stability of the long longboards depend greatly on the wheelbase.
What Size Longboard Should I Get?
The size of longboard you should get really depends on the type of longboarding that you will be doing. If you intend to ride on big hills and you love speed, you will need a long longboard. Its length helps in stability and it can help you go faster. Just make sure that you also have big wheels with to keep your stability intact. Bigger wheels can manage rolling better on bumps and rocks.
If your need to do some exhibitions, slides, or tricks, the smaller sized longboards are more responsive for this job. You can turn quickly without much hassle. Choose hard wheels to help you slide well.
Check Top Longboard Brands On Market 2017
What’s a good longboard?
A good longboard should be the perfect match for your riding style.
- Length – Longer boards make it easier to keep your balance especially if you are riding downhill or you would be dancing on it. For high traffic areas, a good longboard would be the shorter one.
- Width – Good longboards for riders with bigger feet are around 9 inches wide. Ideal width would greatly depend on the size of your feet, your height, and the tricks you may want to do on the deck.
- Shape – For beginners, the teardrop-shaped Pintail is a good choice. For cruising, a good longboard would be the classic Cruiser shape with a kick-tail. For the more advanced riders, the hybrid boards are quite popular for the speed and stability.
- Flexibility – If you want a speedy ride, a stiffer board would be good for you. For low-speed riding or cruising, a softer board will be a good one.
What to look for in a longboard
When looking for a longboard to purchase, there are several important factors you should look for:
- Length- Decide if you need a longer longboard or the shorter ones. Longer boards are great for speed, smoother rides, and bombing hills. Shorter and mid-sized boards are for cruising and exhibitions.
- Deck – Choose between a heavier more stable deck or a lighter thin deck that can rotate quickly. Decks with designs are also more expensive. If on a budget, you can go for plain ones.
- Trucks – Trucks should be durable, lightweight, and grind well.
- Wheels – Choose the right type of wheel for the length of board you will be using. Long boards require bigger and softer wheels. Cruising boards and shorter boards need small and hard wheels.
- Bearings – If budget permits, buy ceramic bearings, which require less frequent lubrication and don’t heat easily.
How to choose a longboard?
The qualities you need to find when buying a longboard greatly depends on your skill level and type of ride you intend to do with your longboard.
Ask yourself if you intend on doing exhibitions and tricks or you are just going to use it for city cruising or commute. Consider your budget and your riding skill level. If you are still a beginner, it would be more practical to start with the lower-priced longboards. But if you have the budget for an expensive one, by all means get the best for your intended riding style.
Do you want a ready-made board or do you wish to customize? When you are an advanced user, you may not be satisfied with factory default builds. Custom longboards may cost higher, but are more satisfying to use in the long run.
Longboard size chart
Here are the common size measurements of longboards and the recommendations.
|Longboard Length||Deck Size|
|Shorter Cruiser||28″ – 32″|
|Mid-Size Cruiser||32″ – 42″|
|Longer Cruiser||42″ – 46″|
|Freeride Longboards||38″ – 42″|
|Downhill Longboards||37″ – 43″|
Recommended Skateboard Deck Widths
|Age / Height||Average Deck Length Recommended||Deck Width|
|9 to 12 years old between 4’5” and 5’2” tall who wear size 7-8 shoes||29″||7.3″+|
|Age 13, taller than 5’3” with a shoe size of 9 and up||29″+||7.5″+|
|For most riders skating streets or doing more technical tricks with a shoe size of 11 or less.||29″+||7.5″ to 8″|
Indeed, looking for the good longboard brands can be overwhelming. The abundance of the choices will make it more difficult for you to make the right decision. To make things easier, keep an eye on the three brands that we have mentioned above.
We also took a look at the reviews of other users, and with confidence, we can guarantee you that these brands can provide the best bang for the buck.
Presented in the table above is a summary of the discussions we have made earlier. From the table, it can be seen that there is one clear winner – Sector 9.
They have a wide array of models that are available at affordable prices. They have appealing design, high-quality decks, durable wheels, and smooth bearings.
Regardless of what model you choose from the said brand, you are guaranteed to make a decision that will not lead to any regret in the future.
All longboard brands
- best Globe Longboards
- best Gold Coast Longboards
- best Landyachtz Longboards
- best longboards for beginners
Incoming search terms:
- best longboard brands
- Best longboards
- longboard brands
- is globe a good longboard brand
- longboarding brands
- what is the best longboard brand